Wednesday 6 November 2013

Analysis of Light Up the Dark

The Lyrics of the music are important in the way that the music video would be made. However Andrew Goodwin states that there are three ways that the lyrics can be interpenetration to the music video. Illustration would taking the lyrics to heart as the correspond with the music video, most of the elements of the music video link with the lyrics and are corresponding with the visual interpretation. Amplification is sequence which add extra meaning, that are not necessarily in the lyrics themselves. What i attempt to do is cooperate this theory to my music video, where i would be able to tell a story with the lyrics and applying them to the visual.

We can light up the dark that’s in our hearts (x2).
I am the light of the world, yeah yeah yeah.
I am a king royalty,
I am the head not the tail, no no no no nooo.
Praise in me, you receive.

Impossible is nothing,
Nothing is too hard when you believe.
Back all light watch your legacy,
Yeah.

So, we can light up the dark that’s in our hearts (x2)
This salt and soul
I’m on a road, ending road.
We can light up the dark that’s in our hearts

I will win, my life won’t die
I live forever in your mind,
I wish upon a tiny star.

Yeah so break loose
Of all the ties and pains all those yesterdays
The world awaits you light to bloom
That we can... yeah yeah...
We can light up the dark that's in our hearts (x2)

This salt and soul
I’m on a road, ending road
I said we can light up the dark that’s in our hearts.

We can light up the dark that’s in our hearts (x2).
I am the light of the world, yeah yeah yeah

In the opening stanza of the song a solo piano piece begins the song, what I would attempt to do is show that and parts of it would be the beginning of the narrative with the main characters from the cut scenes included. The opening 2 lines immediately open the meaning of the song as the artist “Otty” makes the reference to “we” which implies that the relationship between two people. Lighting up the dark, would mean that there is emptiness that is within them and that needs to be rebuilt. Fans are able to incorporate this into their own lives and giving in a chance within a broken relationship. He states that he is the light, meaning that he would be the catalyst of the reconstruction or the development of two people’s love and affection between themselves.  My vision of using contemporary dance I would suggest within the cerography that there is something to instantly inform the viewer the meaning and long shot of the beginning of the performance would allow the audience to understand the format of the  music video.

I am a king royalty,
I am the head not the tail, no no no no nooo.
Praise in me, you receive.

Impossible is nothing,

Nothing is too hard when you believe.
Back all light watch your legacy,
Yeah.

Here he is able to show his dominance and his capability within the relationship, this emphasises his ability to ignite the deep depths of their relationships, showing that he is not afraid to withstand any challenge. King, is portrayed as the important figure in a hierarchy, I would illustrate this by the focus and mixture of close ups and long shots of the male dance as he is associated with the king figure. Tacking control of the situation and the praise would be given to both the parties as they are able to do it together, although showing the earlier superiority and his efforts to make relationship work would encourage men in the same situation and woman needing reinforcement of the good standard of men that are a there who are able to take charge. As the tempo increase I can replicate this with the visuals of the video, by possibly changing the different camera angles, increasing the intensity in the dance performance or use quick clean cut editing as a transition from different scenes, which would sustain the audience engagement with the video.

So, we can light up the dark that’s in our hearts (x2)

This salt and soul
I’m on a road, ending road.
We can light up the dark that’s in our hearts

The repetition of the lyrics reinforces the idea of belonging together and being able to become one again. Typical lyrics of a love song within the soul genre such as “soul” you would expect to hear this preserve the codes and convention of the genre. How would be able to illustrate this stage would be showing a strong relationship between the characters during the cut off scene of the performance, where it illustrates more of the narrative. Contradicting the lyrics to the visual context, I will be able to construct the existing narrative which would develop of the ideas that I can cooperate with music video.


I will win, my life won’t die
I live forever in your mind,
I wish upon a tiny star.

Constant repetition of “I” is there to emphasise the importance of the artist, how he will not relinquish the hope of losing his love, this suggest the desire and drive to succeed to be together. A long shot, medium shot and tracking of the star would be ideal as I am able to link with lyrics and the word “I” is put into context as it shows the star image. And making sure that the lip synch is corresponding with the video is important as the audience are able to see the synchronization of the music.  Similarly to the previous verse the tempo is increase which I would attempt to increase with the video and the way the singer would present that would be the most important factor in increasing the tempo. The way it should be portrayed is to grasp in the audience and to let the go, which is tend to be associated with the soul music.

Yeah so break loose
Of all the ties and pains all those yesterdays
The world awaits your light to bloom

In addition to the increase of the tempo and the volume of the song as this would be the point of most essential section of the song as it implode and drawn the audience’s attention.  I aim to make it the most intense moment of the song.  “Break loose” would sourly suggest that it’s time to let go and in line to this also identified that there is a need to move from the past and walk into the “world awaits your light to bloom.” At the moment I would wish to change the first half of the song, which would be shown in black and white, and create a fusion which would take the music video aspect and correspond with the visuals as the music video, returns to a normal colour.

That we can... yeah yeah...
We can light up the dark that's in our hearts (x2)
This salt and soul
I’m on a road, ending road
I said we can light up the dark that’s in our hearts.

As it approaches the coda the high intensity would have come to an end and the volume and the tempo stated to disintegrate the music video should also do the same. Including the narrative within the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment